The benefits of using Bridge ICs include the following:
- The entire USB protocol is managed on the chip. There is no requirement of USB-specific firmware programming.
- The connection to a DCP (Dedicated Charging Port) USB port can be detected.
- There are reduced needs for microcontroller resources. Any communication via SPI, UART, or I2C demands less resources compared to USB CDC device class implementation.
- There are free drivers for Windows, Android, Mac OS-X, and Linux.
- The USB/serial bridge connects microcontroller pins to the USB connector, implying that overvoltage or ESD spikes on the USB bus may damage the bridge in-lieu of the microcontroller. The small bridge chip is less expensive and simpler to replace than the microcontroller.